Qualifying Spots and Procedures for Alternates
Long Island Open Championship
2017 Notice on Qualifying Positions
- The starting field at Westhampton CC will be 144 players.
- A total of 51 spots in the starting field are available for qualifiers.
- To be sure we do not exceed 144, the low 36 scores and ties at the two locations will qualify for the Championship. Qualifying positions are allocated proportionally to the field sizes with
o 21 and ties at Bethpage Red
o 15 and ties at The Golf Club at Middle Bay
- Alternates: The 36 plus ties will almost certainly produce a field of fewer than 144. Alternates will be selected beginning with those who missed the cut by one stroke and continuing to those who missed by two strokes if necessary. Alternates will be ranked by a matching of cards per the USGA Rule Book.
- To fill the Championship field to 144, Alternates will be invited in order starting with #1 at Bethpage Red, then #1 at The Golf Club At Middle Bay and so on, continuing until the field is filled.
- If 36 and ties causes the Championship field to exceed 144, no Alternates will get in until withdrawals reduce the field below that number. If more withdrawals occur, additional Alternates will be invited to play.
- Alternates must accept on first contact or they will be passed over.